Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Top Ten Things I Love About Pregnancy

10. Experiencing My Body's Many Changes
Pregnancy has been a special time to embrace my womanhood and motherhood and the body I have during this new phase of life. Body issues are so difficult to deal with, despite their apparent normalcy in our society. However, pregnancy has helped me to accept my body and all of these changes. No, I don't like the numbers on the scale ever increasing, but it's part of pregnancy and easier to accept. The acne, perspiration, stretch marks, etc. are all part of this wonderful event of creating a life. It's the most difficult favorite, but it's also pretty awesome, especially considering long term consequences like my state of mind. Hopefully, this little bit of acceptance and love that I am able to give to my growing, changing body will somehow positively effect Girlie's outlook on her body down the road.
9. Moodiness Is Understood
People readily expect and accept my emotions. At times, I have been horrified by my behavior, but, thankfully, people have gracefully accepted my apologies. Their acceptance of my moodiness has helped me to accept it. This acceptance has allowed me to be more aware of when emotions are coming. Now, I'm able to say things like, "I feel the need to cry and I don't know why." I've also been able to do things like take a nap or eat a snack to help ward off an emotional outburst. My, how I've grown. :)
8. Taking a Nap Everyday
I am one of those people that enjoys a nap. I tend to keep myself pretty busy and appreciate the times I can stop and rest. Also, my body will force a nap on me if necessary via migraines. Our pets are also very persuasive in the napping arena. Being pregnant makes napping all the more easy. I am tired more easily and a nap is seen as natural, necessary, healthy. Applying guilt or shame to being "so lazy" are a waste of energy, because naps have become necessary to avoid walking about like a zombie in the middle of the day. It's much healthier to look forward to my little daily naps and spending time cuddling with Benny and Jak.
7. Natural Lessons in Self-Care
I think it is so interesting that nature has it's own way of training a mother to take care of herself before her child is born. In the womb, Girlie doesn't eat when I eat; she eats when she needs to and takes whatever nutrients she needs. That means it's my job to supply my body with the nutrients I need. She doesn't need me to think about her in order to grow; she's doing that all by herself. It's amazing how the most important thing I do right now is taking care of myself. The better I eat, rest, relax, etc.; the healthier she will be. I think the same will apply once she is born. The better I take care of myself and meet my needs, the more I have to offer her as a mother.
6. Our Bradley Childbirth Classes
We are taking Bradley Childbirth classes to prepare ourselves for birth with the hope that we can have a natural childbirth, though compromises will likely be made due to my heart condition. We are learning so much about what to expect and how to be ready for it. It has been nice to step away from the drama around labor and birth that is so inherent in the media. We've been working together to train our bodies, minds, and emotions for this athletic event, including emergency situations. These classes have definitely brought us closer as a couple and given us more confidence that we will be able handle what is to come to the best of our abilities.
5. Imagining Who She Will Be
Will she have hair when she's born? Neither of us really had much, but they have already seen hair in an ultrasound. What color will it be? What color will her eyes be? Who will she look like? What will her personality be like? If she does any imitation of us, she'll be bossy and busy. All of her movements also indicate a busy baby. What kinds of things will she like? How will she get along with her cousins, especially N, who will be only about 4 months older? What kinds of things will she dream about? What will her ambitions be? How cute is she going to look in such-and-such outfit or when she makes a certain face? It's fun to imagine all the possibilities. It so exciting that soon some of these questions will be answered, and we will be here to support her as she changes and grows and becomes the person she is truly meant to be. I think just watching her grow is going to be fascinating, which is probably the school psychologist and teacher in me. The mother in me just wants to love her for who she is and do all I can to foster her growth and development.
4. The Love and Support of Family and Friends
We both feel so blessed during this time in our lives. So many people obviously love and support us, and we can so easily feel that emanating from them as they offer help, blessings, and enthusiasm during this time of great change in our lives.
3. Bonding With My Husband
Robert and I have known and loved each other since we were 16 years old. We haven't be a couple that entire time, but we have been through a lot together. This experience is somehow different, somehow more. We are planning for a huge change. We, of course, want the very best for our daughter. We are also so, so happy to be so close to welcoming her into our lives. With all this planning, wishing, learning, and experiencing her growing into an actual human being, how could we not be closer as a couple? It can be difficult, but it is a most beautiful time and a major milestone in our relationship and marriage.
2. Taking Baths
You would think this is kind of random in the ordering of things, especially with the sentiment involved in the previous three favorites. However, I just can't express how nice it is to slip into a nice warm tub with a good book and have so much weight (physically and metaphorically) lifted as soon as I'm in the water. Robert and I have decided that these nightly baths are crucial to my health right now. I get to literally, let go for a while and feel relaxed and ready for bed.
1. Feeling Her Move
I couldn't wait for it to happen. Robert and I would lie still for long stretches of time asking each other, "Was that her?" When I was sure it was her movements, I would stay in bed a little longer each morning just so I could feel those little movements a little longer. Even though her movements are bigger and more obvious now, I still love to sit and just experience them. Robert says he can always tell when she starts moving because of the way my face glows. It is truly a surreal experience to feel my daughter actually moving inside my body. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment